And now, two sleeves to go.
And now, two sleeves to go.
Very slow progress on the Pauline Alice Carme Blouse.
Anonymous said: lucky gal, where is this tardis?
Florida, somewhere in or near Gainesville.
Because the crop top is going to get very little wear, I’ve also made a Deer and Doe Plantain tee out of this fabric. For this version I went ahead and took it in a size at the waist and hips, but you can’t really tell because of the way the fabric behaves. This has definitely become my go-to t-shirt pattern.
(Yes, I’m standing in front of a TARDIS.)
Way too big to slightly less too big. I took out about four inches, and I feel like you barely see it in these photos.
I call this outfit “so you want to look like Taylor Swift.”
The skirt is the By Hand London Anna Dress made in a linen-rayon blend. I just added a waistband. The fifth picture shows the lapped zip (first one I ever did) and button closure. I love the skirt.
The shirt is another story. I have no idea if I will lever leave the house in a crop-top. Probably not. Also, even with my walking foot, and using a long-length zig-zag stitch, the neckline of this got super wavy/gap-y. See the fourth pic for proof, because it didn’t look as bad in the photos as it does in person.
The shirt is a mash-up of the By Hand London Anna dress sleeves and neck-line, and the Cake Patterns Hummingbird Top without the peplum. The fabric is a rayon-lycra blend jersey from fabric.com. It fits well, even if I never get up the courage to leave the house in it.
I used the long holiday weekend to get dressed up and take pictures of my finished Flora Dress. I wore this to a wedding two weeks ago, and got no pictures of the dress, because the hotel didn’t have a full length mirror.
This fabric is Marc Jacobs viscose from Mood. My major changes to the pattern were to add a full lining (the pattern only has a lining on the top), to change out the skirt, and add pockets.
I had some construction issues. The shell fabric stretched as I worked with it. The lining fabric didn’t. So when it got time to attach it all together they didn’t match up. You can see this a bit in the lining photo, where there is a space between the fabric and the zipper at the waist. The same issue caused some extra wrinkles that you can’t really see in my mediocre photography.
I changed out the skirt because the pattern skirt is a circle skirt(ish), and I wanted to use the great border print on my fabric. After much hemming and hawing on my part, I used the Kelly Skirt as the bottom of the dress. I cut the front on the fold (no buttons/placket) and put a seam in the back for the zipper.
I also added pockets, because pockets. The fabric is too light to really use them to hold much, especially if you’re trying to dance. With nothing in the pockets, the skirt is delightfully swooshy.
In general, when I put the dress on yesterday, I was surprised by how much I love it. (Also, the shoes. I love the shoes. They are the Melissa x Karl Lagerfeld ice cream shoes.) I feel like right after I finish a project, I can only see my mistakes. But give it a couple of weeks, and I forget all about my problems making it and love the finished garment.
Since I had the extra time this weekend, I thought I might also attempt to take some better pictures than usual. It didn’t really work out like that.
I cleared out one whole side of my apartment, but the largest blank wall in my apartment isn’t big enough to get a full body shot without other stuff encroaching on the photo. Also, the camera built into my computer (which is what I used for the bottom two photos) isn’t that good. It looks like my bangs are eating my eyes.
So if you have advice for better blog photography, I’d love to hear it. This goes x1000 if the advice doesn’t require another person to take photos or spending money on equipment.
Slow and steady sweater progres.